Of Memory and Displacement Vera Frenkel: Collected Works 3 DVD + 1 CD-ROM
Vera Frenkel is one of Canada's most renowned multidisciplinary artists, respected both internationally and at home. Her installations, videotapes, performances and new media projects address the forces at work in human migration, the learning and unlearning of cultural memory, and the ever-increasing bureaucratization of experience.
This four-disk compilation (3 DVDs +1 CD-ROM) encompasses three decades of Frenkel's key video and media projects, and features writings by the artist, visual documentation of installations and exhibitions, as well as commentary by thoughtful observers of her work and its compelling mix of incisive humour, technical skill and narrative power.
Inspired by major video retrospectives at the National Gallery of Canada (Vera Frenkel: The Videotapes/Les bandes vidéo, 1985) and at the Canadian Images Festival of Film and Video (Vera Frenkel Spotlight, 1997), and including her most recent Internet-based projects, this compendium marks the most comprehensive survey to date of a remarkable body of work.
- Rich selection of Frenkel's influential video works including Signs of a Plot: A Text, True Story & Work of Art; The Secret Life of Cornelia Lumsden; The Business of Frightened Desires; This is Your Messiah Speaking and more
- New interviews with the artist introducing each work
- Stand-alone versions of two major web art projects, Body Missing and The Institute: Or What We Do for Love
- Catalogue essay by new media theorist and cultural historian Dot Tuer
- Writings by the artist including transcripts of talks given at the I.C.A. (London), the Freud Museum (Vienna), the Museum of Modern Art (New York), the Banff Centre for the Arts; Centre CATH, Leeds University (U.K.); the Gesellschaft fuer Aktuelle Kunst (Bremen) and the Musée d'art contemporain (Montréal), among others
- Documentary material on The Institute and other works, plus up-to-date artist's biography, bibliography and videography
Each DVD/CD-ROM set includes a booklet guide to the contents of the four discs.
Rental and Sales
DVD Box Set Educational Purchase
Curators and programmers, please contact email@example.com to receive a login and password to preview Vtape titles online.
Screening and exhibition rentals and archival acquisitions include public performance rights; educational purchases or licenses include rights for classroom screenings and library circulation. When placing an order the customer agrees to our general online terms and conditions. Payment (or a purchase order number) and a signed licensing agreement must be received before media can be shipped to the client.